YouTube
LinkedIn
Instagram

Introduce Yourself!

Viewing 53 reply threads
  • Author
      stephaniehanko
      Participant

Good afternoon all. My name is Stephanie Hanko, and I learned of the Center through IPM Day 2018. The message resonated so strongly with me, since I feel unacknowledged at times, and understood how this impacts my engagement at work and at home. I’ve been struck by how quickly the message of grateful leadership and acknowledgement has become a daily (many times a day) thought as I move through my life, both personally and professionally. I’ve also noticed how I need to be clear in my acknowledgements, beyond thanking someone, but being clear about what it is exactly that I find I truly appreciate. I have noticed “thank you” comes easily, but that isn’t a true acknowledgement. I am so profoundly taken with how this impacts not only the other person, but how I feel and experience the world, my interactions, and my work.

I’m excited to join this community!

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Stephanie, we are so happy to have you join our community! That the message of Grateful Leadership and The Power of Acknowledgment resonate so strongly with you is a testimonial to you, and to your power to transmit this message and to transform the people in your life with it. I know people will be profoundly and positively affected by your commitment to this initiative. Welcome!

RNevin
        Participant

Hi Stephanie! So glad to have you here! Looking forward to getting to know you!

TKiley
        Participant

Hello Stephanie, and welcome aboard! It is good to hear you say how acknowledgment has become a daily thought. I had the same reaction when I became ‘aware’ after IPM Day 2015. And it’s funny, once you realize the power of acknowledgment, and apply it in your daily routine you can then see how the gratitude and acknowledgments affect so many people and the results they bring. And then the next step is to see others acknowledge others! I get such a great feeling when I see the reaction of someone I have the opportunity to acknowledge. And I have now come to appreciate when I see other people, either friends family or just complete strangers acknowledge someone for reasons they feel are worthy to acknowledge. Being a spectator of an acknowledgment is just as good as being the one giving acknowledgment. It’s great to experience it all, and I hope you enjoy it all as I do.

ravada
      Participant

Hi Everyone,

I am a new member. Thanks to Judy for introducing me to the Center for Grateful Leadership. My name is Sudhakar Ravada. I work in Technology Management and also pursue doctoral study in Education Leadership and Psychology. I live near San Diego, California. I like to simplify learning and assist others in their journey of education and professional development. I look forward to meeting you and getting to know you.

Best Regards
      Sudhakar

harrywaldron
        Participant

Thank you for joining our CGL community & training center 🙂

We welcome you to our forums & encourage ALL to take time & listen to the highly motivating podcast library

And another great benefit is to attend our FREE monthly one-hour training program  (Meeting dates/times are published in thread at top of forums).

These discussion forums are a great resource for ideas or questions.

TKiley
        Participant

Welcome aboard Sudhakar! It’s nice to meet you!

ravada
          Participant

Hi All,

Thank you for welcoming me. I appreciate it.

Regards

Sudhakar

BobUmlas
      Participant

Hi, everyone! I’m the husband of Judy Umlas and think it’s about time I joined the CGL. I retired from 20.5 years at KPMG just 2 days ago (8/1) and am enjoying the leisure life. Well, so far, it just feels like a long weekend! I am the author of 3 Excel books, one of which is published by IIL, called “This isn’t Excel, it’s Magic!”. I am the longest-running Microsoft Excel MVP (25 years), so if you have any Excel questions, send them my way.

Starting in 2004, I started writing love letters to my wife twice a week. That’s nearly 1,500 love letters! In fact, Judy mentions that, as an example of true acknowledgment and appreciation, at an engineering company, one of the participants asked Judy if he could get coaching on how to write love letters to his wife. And I did it! From time to time he tells Judy he is practicing this and is still grateful for the coaching. And just months ago I started writing poetry (I used to hate poetry!). My loves (aside from Judy), are Scrabble, Backgammon, guitar, jokes, spiritual transformation, and lightness of being. This August we’ll be married 51 years! (It only feels like 50!)

Nice to be here!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by BobUmlas.
        Bvalle
        Participant

I love this introduction! I was sharing with Judy my spouse is an Excel wizard and will love your books. So happy to be acquainted with you both.

Guitar, as an instrument, is also near and dear to my heart. Let me know if you ever share anything online, I’d love to listen.

Cheers,

Brielle

BobUmlas
          Participant

Thanks for the warm greeting! Here’s my guitar-playing link:

RNevin
        Participant

So glad to have you on board Bob!! Your valuable insight and expertise will be most welcomed here! Thanks for all you have done to help me with Excel questions/issues! It’s great to have the Excel Guru himself on hand for those difficult tasks!

BobUmlas
          Participant

Thanks so much! Glad to be here…

Bvalle
      Participant

Hi Everyone –

Great to e-meet. I’m fortunate to be joining this Grateful community! I recently met with some of the IIL team, including Judy, and am so encouraged by what is being achieved. My interest is high for “all things leadership” and I’m eager to learn more. My M.S. is in Leadership and Organizational Communication, which fueled my interest to pursue my doctorate (commencing this fall) in Leadership. Thus, I am thrilled to learn more from Judy, the participants of this shared mindset, and gather insights on how I can become a more effective leader.

Look forward to getting to know you and keeping the conversation going.

Brielle

arisalas
      Participant

Hello! My name is Arianna Salas! I work for IIL here in Monett, Missouri. I recently joined the CGL team and am glad to be on it. I am currently translating a Spanish Grateful Leadership course and as I am translating I am learning and loving every minute of it.  I had my first contact with the power of aknowledgement when I was helping to translate said course. During these past couple days that I have been working on it I realized that this is good stuff. I am looking forward to reading Judy’s book, Power of Acknowledgment. I am very excited to be here, in a time when the subject of Grateful Leadership is being discussed.  Here’s to great beginnings.

(Became a part of  CGL about a month ago but i posted in the wrong place.)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by arisalas.
        jgtrela
        Participant

Welcome Arianna!  As your Grateful Leader journey begins, know that there are many committed Center for Grateful Leadership members here to make this walk with you. The world will open in ways you do not expect. We look forward to hearing your stories and sharing ours.

TKiley
        Participant

Welcome aboard Arianna!

harrywaldron
          Participant

Welcome to our forums 🙂 … Please take advantage of the highly motivating podcast library & 1-hour training broadcast during last week of each of month. These discussion forums are a great resource for ideas or questions. And they are all free resources we can benefit from

admin
      Keymaster

We have LOTS of new members!! Welcome everyone, and tell us a little about yourself and how you got here!

Hi, my name is Linda. As a research consultant and a leadership and team coach, I bring the latest research in positive psychology, neuroscience and positive OD to my clients. While exploring the correlates of gratitude and neuroscience, I discovered Judy’s book, Grateful Leadership. AND, I’m so grateful I did! Together, the science and the applications, make a powerful combination in elevating leadership development programs and improving employee engagement practices. I’m excited to share that I will be the featured guest for the January 2018  Live Q&A with Judith.

With gratitude, Linda

MrThankYou
      Participant

Hello everyone, I’ll be joining you as a guest on the conference call/meeting this Wednesday. Feel free to get a heads up about the Mr. Thank You Project at: http://www.JohnIzzy.com. Have a wonderful start to the week.

-John

Hello.  I am very excited to be here, and to live in a time when the subject of Grateful Leadership is being discussed.  When I picked up a copy of the HBRs 10 Must Reads on Emotional Intelligence and read the article by Christine Porath and Christine Pearson on The Price of Incivility, I felt it resonate deeply with what I had personally experienced.  Years ago as a young manager making the mistakes of youth, and more recently on the receiving end of stressed out managers who choose to vent rather than consciously engage.  It was through these experiences, and finding books like the ones authored by Judith Umlas that I decided to make some conscious changes.  Proactively striving to find what people are doing right, reinforcing it through sincere acknowledgement, and building people up, is such a winning combination that just plain feels good.  Pair that with a current focus on Change Management and work becomes more than the next milestone, it strives for the next celebration of success.

My name is Shaundra Toy, and I am a PMP certified project manager working on custom solution development, from co-design to benefits harvesting throughout the supply chain.  I am also collaborating on a book on Change and Innovation.  If you have any stories you would like to share that illustrate how Grateful Leadership has impacted change initiatives, or the level of creativity and innovation, I would love to hear them and maybe even interview you for the book.

Micmadsen
        Participant

Welcome to the community Shaundra!

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Hi Shaundra,

I want to personally welcome you to the Grateful Leadership initiative through the Center for Grateful Leadership. It’s so exciting that you have joined the CGL and that you are seeking stories for your book about the difference this leadership model has made. If you look at my  blog, you will see many such stories — also do check out the “Tell Me a Story Feature,” and of course Jim Trela’s fabulous weekly podcast, “The Art of Grateful Leadership.” Other members contribute on a regular basis — maybe you might want to consider that, since you are a writer! 🙂 Feel free to email me with your ideas at any time: judy.umlas@iil.com and for sure, you MUST come to our next live Q&A session on 11/29 at 2:00 pm ET. If you can make it, please be sure to have a microphone so we can have a voice to voice  interchange. If  you can’t manage that, texting will be fine. We are grateful to have you here among “kindred spirits,” Shaundra. Welcome!

Judith,

I can’t thank you enough for the wealth of resource suggestions for my book – I will be pouring through them in the coming weeks and will most definitely reach out to share some ideas on how they might fit, and how best to reference them.  Unfortunately, I missed the Live Q&A session but very much looking forward to catching the next one in January and will keep an eye out for the date once it’s posted.  I do hope you are having wonderful Holiday Season filled with Peace and the Joy of Loved ones to share it with.

All the best,

Shaundra

TKiley
        Participant

Welcome aboard Shaundra! There are so many good stories and experiences shared here that have encouraged me tremendously. I look forward to reading some of yours too!

sycole2017
      Participant

Happy Thursday, everyone,

My name is Stephanie Cole, and I just joined the IIL and CGL team.  I am very excited to be here!  I sincerely believe that this community can make a positive difference, and I look forward to posting and connecting with you all.  Have a great day everyone!

Micmadsen
        Participant

Hello Stephanie! Welcome to the life changing world of like-minded grateful leaders! 🙂

sycole2017
          Participant

Hello! It’s wonderful to meet you too. Have an awesome week!

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Welcome, Stephanie! It’s great to have you on board at IIL, especially given the “resonance” you have with Grateful Leadership. I think you are a natural to be engaged in our initiative! We await and welcome your contributions and responses to the great posts we are getting from our members.

sycole2017
          Participant

Good morning Judy,

Thanks so much for the welcome. Now THIS is how you kick off the weekend! 🙂 I looked over my leadership library at home at did a little happy dance. Looking forward to being a part of this wonderful community.

TKiley
        Participant

Hello Stephanie, it’s nice to meet you!

sycole2017
          Participant

Hello there, T Kiley! It is wonderful to meet you as well. Here’s to great beginnings. Cheers!

admin
      Keymaster

Dear Ralph,

Thanks so much for joining the CGL, and for still being a dear friend after many, many years! Your story is amazing — as I said to you on the phone today, I think you are one of the most self-actualized people I know, with your regularly scheduled African safaris, the plays you produce, direct, act in and the many volunteers you inspire. I love the idea of starting a dialogue about engaging volunteers. So many of our members also belong to PMI (Project Management Institute) Chapters, as well as other organizations. How would you like to start a column with the title you just came up with: “grateful leadership in a volunteer environment”? It’s a critical topic, I think. And like the interview with Maggie that you commented on, either on Facebook or LinkedIn, a volunteer’s entire “paycheck” is appreciation.

Just out of curiosity, do you remember our English teacher Mrs. Diaz in 7th grade? She always wrote in big letters on all of my compositions, “WORDY”. Now I get to be “wordy” for a purpose! Thanks for appreciating the work we do here to make the world a better place. And thanks for joining in! I know you will make a big difference in our community. Best, Judy

admin
      Keymaster

Dear Ralph,

Thanks so much for joining the CGL, and for still being a dear friend after many, many years! Your story is amazing — as I said to you on the phone today, I think you are one of the most self-actualized people I know, with your regularly scheduled African safaris, the plays you produce, direct, act in and the many volunteers you inspire. I love the idea of starting a dialogue about engaging volunteers. So many of our members also belong to PMI (Project Management Institute) Chapters, as well as other organizations. How would you like to start a column with the title you just came up with: “grateful leadership in a volunteer environment”? It’s a critical topic, I think. And like the interview with Maggie that you commented on, either on Facebook or LinkedIn, a volunteer’s entire “paycheck” is appreciation.

Just out of curiosity, do you remember our English teacher Mrs. Diaz in 7th grade? She always wrote in big letters on all of my compositions, “WORDY”. Now I get to be “wordy” for a purpose! Thanks for appreciating the work we do here to make the world a better place. And thanks for joining in! I know you will make a big difference in our community. Best, Judy

Andrew
      Participant

Tom,    I really appreciated that somebody like yourself would reach out and be supportive of my situation.   I have done a bit of dare devil stuff in my life but I certainly cannot say I have ever done anything particularly heroic.   On the other hand you might think being a technician and engineer working next to a nuclear reactor in a modern submarine was not particularly heroic and it was just a somewhat unrewarding job like any other one.  Then again maybe not.         I really felt your support for me and it made a big difference for me.     I woke up this morning thinking about you and while it was too late to reply to you yesterday I knew when going to bed that this morning I would be replying to you in some way that was not very typical.    We seem to be sharing something that is very important and difficult for both of us.      I am totally with you in saying I am also the kind of person who believes getting things off my chest makes me feel much better even when it is with complete strangers.      I have to say I already feel significantly better.  A problem shared is a problem halved.  That is ancient knowledge and you would imagine it is just common sense,  it is not like we are talking rocket science,  but even 100 years after the ‘discovery’ of the benefit of talking therapies,   happiness for many remains as elusive as ever.         Families seem to be strange things.  You would think that the family would be the best possible place to explore your emotions and be yourself and yet often the family can be the absolutely worst place possible!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Andrew.
      • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Andrew.
      TKiley
      Participant

Andrew, I hope you don’t mind if I share a little with you here, and to all of those who read I hope you will allow me some feedback to Andrew.

Andrew, first let me say I think it is so brave of you to open up about this issue.  I know from personal experience how difficult it is to express difficulties related to family issues, as I will share.

It seems you and Ilona are facing some difficult issues.  I could touch on the military need for the power of acknowledgement.  In my 22 years as a US Navy Submariner who worked in the nuclear weapons systems on board, the missile technician rating had (has) extremely high standards of performance and conduct.  It was the lack of acknowledgement in my military job, which I brought with me as baggage to my civilian roles, that got me involved with this group in the first place.  I can tell you there is great potential for grateful acknowledgement in the military, which is why Chaplain Davis, a member here, is taking the concept to the military.

But I think there is so much more in what you are saying here, that a simple response may not answer everything.  So, I would like to share some experiences I have with you.  I do not share the same point of references you have regarding your family situation.  But I can say I truly empathize tremendously with you.

In 3 weeks, I will be celebrating 31 years of marriage to my lovely wife, Terri.  We have gone through many ordeals, through being a military family with all the separations and transfers from one city to another, and state to another, even across the US from east to west.  But the biggest challenge we face will be with us for the rest of our lives.  Terri’s mother succumbed to complications from multiple sclerosis (MS) in 2001 or 2002.  In 2004, Terri started to show signs of fatigue similar to MS.  In 2007, she was formally diagnosed as having MS.  She has lost most of the ability to walk.  I have been her strength, her drive, her walker, her cook, her everything she needed.  In January of last year, I was diagnosed with MS.  It is not rare for 2 people with MS to fall in love and marry.  It is very rare for 2 people to be married for so long then both be diagnosed with this.  I have yet to suffer any symptoms.  I found out when I had an MRI for an unrelated issue, and the lesions were found.  Fortunately I am still fully capable to do all the functions I need.  And I still am serving as Terri’s caregiver.

I say all this because after reading your post I found that you asked the same questions we asked ourselves.  We are still learning too.  We both need the silence to let things go, but then realize these things don’t go away just by not recognizing and dealing with them.  I did share in another post how I recognized I was not acknowledging Terri enough for the things she can do.  And I have improved my ways of acknowledging how she takes care of our family finances, and even how she cares for our animals (6 horses, 4 dogs, 1 cat andany stray that comes along!).  It is difficult for a person who can only get around on a scooter to deal with feeding and watering horses, but she does it, and she makes me so proud of the way she has adapted to her handicap.  But I was not acknowledging her accomplishments with anything more than, as you put it, “Good Job Soldier”.  That isn’t enough.  That will never be enough if it is the norm.  Again, I empathize with that.

So, is there something to this POA?  Absolutely.  Will it work?  Tough question.  There is only one person who can answer that.

You.

Let me close by thanking you for yor honesty, and frankness.  And I thank you also, for allowing me to share my personal issues as well.  I sometimes need to share my challenges with others.  I find it very helpful to get things off my chest, even with people I have neve met.  It helps me realign my perspective.  So, thank you for helping me realign.

Andrew
      Participant

Hello all,

I am Ilonas husband in Finland.   I am 61.    I am from the South of England but I lived in New Zealand for about 15 years.   It is said of Finns that they are comfortable with silence and well…..I do not like silences.    Then again I can see that talking can be quite irritating if  you want to be alone with your own experiences or not be distracted from your own activities.    I am though what we call a chatterbox sometimes and I tend to wear my thoughts and emotions on my sleeve so to speak rather than being an internal person.

Power of acknowledgement?  For the purposes of this forum, Power of acknowledgement has a particular meaning related to praising people.  In many forms of teaching the teacher has to focus on praising and supporting their client, acknowledging their progress even when progress is very slow.    Outside of therapy or teaching, (these people are paid to help people)   it can be difficult to praise people who we think are under performing,  and I think many of us find it hard to put on special gloves to acknowledge the good behaviours while being very unhappy with the bad behaviours.

I can see though that praising people does have tremendous power and resisting praising somebody because you feel it will weaken your ability to apply pressure to them can work against you.      I saw recently there was mention of the power of acknowledgement in the military.   I think we can recognise the benefit of ‘Good work Soldier!’  They even give out medals for outstanding performance.  However,  in the military are they really going to have a culture of “Power of acknowledgement”?   I suppose it will work somewhat better once you are out of boot camp.   A large part of the military today is tremendously technical and there can be no way people are going to be motivated to achieve the excellence a modern military requires without positive acknowledgement.  Then again in the military you are obliged to ensure wrong practice is ended as quickly as possible.     However, I really know nothing of the military.     My wife though was praising Tom!   So it seemed good to get my thoughts on the table first!  🙂

Anyway as you can see, I am all for praising people and can see that it can be tremendously good for people and being critical can be tremendously bad for people, but how to get the balance right? That seems a much harder task and personally speaking I am a big believer in the idea that in life we have to be real.   Ie we have to be honest and true to ourself and our own true nature or otherwise we are unreal and false and that surely can never bring happiness for us.

In the final analysis life can be complicated.

Ps.  I am aware that I need to learn something about life that I am finding hard to learn.   Perhaps this forum can provide the learning that so far has not come my way?    I am finding it very hard to control my anger at the moment.  My beautiful 8 year old daughter has come to me crying about 6 times in the last month because I have been shouting about something or other mainly related to this family war my wife and I are in related to us placing our Down syndrome son with an external carer, via social services who said they had to help us.   I just could not face the future that I imagined caring for him would have meant for us.   I was the stay at home dad for my daughter while Ilona was working at IIL.   Ilona could see my reaction and could see she would have to be the main carer (in the traditional way as stay at home mother).      As far as we could see we would get no community help and our experience of looking after our daughter was that we would get no family help either.       Our son is being very well cared for in a family environment but we are being expected, by many in the family,  to do more than what we are doing and we are unable to get into a dialogue with many of the people involved.    Many family members seem unable to understand how handicapped our son is.   The foster mother says our son does not know what an external family member is and simply greets everybody like a friend he has known for ever.  Many family members think we should be building a stronger relationship with our son.   What do they expect me to do?  I do not know.      For a long time people were coming to our house and not talking to us about our son, and I often felt they behaved weirdly with us, but I set that to one side and focused on the positive as much as possible.    However, it just became too much for me because of the impact their apparent judgement was having on my wife Ilona.    I decided we must get discussion about our son or we dont get these visitors.  Period.      Meanwhile the manipulation and what not, has continued because people want access to our daughter.    Our daughter however seems happy to be with us and has never asked to be with these family members.    She has her own phone and does not want their telephone numbers so they can call her and make their own arrangements with her.     If people would talk to us I am assuming we could come to something mutually beneficial but they refuse to talk to us about our son.    It seems insane to me.    Some people have told me it is insane and there is nothing that can be changed.   Sigh.  Then of course on top of all my personal angst I am painfully aware that my wife Ilona is impacted by my behaviours and aggitations.     What to do?  I just do not like silences.   I feel silence and avoidance is not the best way forwards.   Then again it is undoubtedly true there is tremendous power in silence.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Andrew.
      JudyUmlas
      Keymaster

Hi Ilona! I’m so happy you have joined our community. And yes, we have had some real adventures and exciting moments with Grateful Leadership in Finland. Hopefully there will be lots more! I admire your resolve to communicate in a heartfelt and sincere way with a challenging family situation. Don’t be afraid to ask for help and support from our wonderful members. They are all big-hearted and generous of spirit.

Let’s keep working together to change the culture of Finland to one of appreciation and acknowledgment. Here is a blog post I made about some of these engagements and attempts so far: https://gratefulleadership.com/did-800-project-managers-turn-a-countrys-culture-around/
      and be sure to read the original post that’s referred to in that one. Best, Judy

tipsuk
        Participant

Hi Judy, Thank you and good to see those familiar faces there  at the workshop ! Hoping we can bring you soon again here !

TKiley
      Participant

Hello, and welcome Ilona!

tipsuk
        Participant

Thank you Tom !

tipsuk
      Participant

Hi all ! Nice to meet you virtually. I am Ilona from IIL Finland. I have seen Judy giving presentations and workshops in Finland and seen a lot of miraculous things happening among engineer and line manager audience and lots of  tears of expression and emotion flowing at the Aknowledgement exercises.

Here in Finland the culture does not support too much of the Aknowledging approach I think, but it certainly would not harm to increase it a lot ! I will be reading the posts and glad to share my stories as well.

Personally I am committed to growth and opening my heart every day more and as much and as fast as possible.  Been just involved in a painful and long family /relatives fight for a few years and just recently – today (!) practising truthful and heartfelt communication as best as I can as otherwise there is no happy end for anyone. I am only a beginner I can say !

Cheers, Ilona

TKiley
      Participant

Welcome aboard, as I used to say in the Navy.  It’s nice to meet you Cleopatra.

JudyUmlas
      Keymaster

Cleopatra, I am so happy to see you here among the wonderful and active members of the Center for Grateful Leadership! It’s a pleasure to have your enthusiasm and passion for this initiative as a driver for even greater results. And thanks for sharing so generously about Grateful Leadership with your network. Your presence is as regal as your name, and we appreciate your your participation. Please share your stories with us either here or in the “Tell Me a Story” feature! Best, Judy

patraislar
      Participant

Hello!! I am Cleopatra Islar, an author, global travel specialist, and retired international civil servant (employed with the World Bank Group for over 20 years). Prior to this, I worked in various parts of Africa where my focus was on international development.

I met Judith Umlas over a year ago at the University of Maryland’s Women’s History Month celebration where she truly touched me during her presentation on ‘The Power of Acknowledgement.’ There is a favorite quote from her book which I have shared several times on my social media sites, “Could the general lack of acknowledgement be why the world doesn’t work for so many people?” ~Judith W. Umlas.  Food for thought, indeed.

I conclude my introduction by acknowledging each and every member and look forward to active communication while growing as a grateful Travel Leader in my field.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by patraislar.
      • This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by patraislar.
      TKiley
      Participant

It is nice to meet you Isadora!

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Tom, thank you for welcoming Isadora. This is the kind of interaction we would love to see among all of our wonderful members, so thanks for being a model for it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by JudyUmlas.
      IsadoraPereira
      Participant

Hello everyone, my name is Isadora, I’m from Brazil and I work on the IIL local company here. I did have my first contact with the power of aknowledgement when I was helping to translate the book POA for kids in Portuguese, it was an incredible “open minding” for me, during the days I pass reading it I realized that in some way it was changing something in me, I was thinking more before say something and what was the best way to talk what I wanted to that person, it helped on my personally life, so when I finished the translation I was talking with Judy about how amazing that can be. Now I’m very excited to know more about this grateful world that we can create and live, I think everybody should have the opportunity to know about the power of acknowledgement, let’s share this precious content that Judy gave us with most people that we can, I’m very happy to being in here with you guys!

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Hi Isadora! It’s wonderful to have you as a member of the Center for Grateful Leadership and we welcome your continuous contributions. It was great that you were able to give us another set of eyes on the Portuguese translation of “You’re Totally Awesome! The Power of Acknowledgment for Kids.” We were very fortunate to have Mario Henrique Trentim, Director of Strategic Project Management for Trentim & Associates, take on the project, and to have you help us finish it up. He felt from the beginning that it was an important message for Brazilian students. How lucky we are that people like you and Mario see the value of this message for children. Let’s get it to the world!

pobiedjm
      Participant

Hi all!  I’m Jim Pobiedzinski, I recently met Judy at a professional dinner and was inspired by the quality of conversation we had.  Expressing gratitude and doing so genuinely is a practice I’ve adopted in the past few years, and being able to share experiences with others who view things through a similar lens was so refreshing!  It’s nice to be appreciated, but it’s almost even more rewarding to appreciate someone else and express it to them.  Thanks all and I look forward to talking and sharing.

daisy.zhang
      Participant

Hi I’m Daisy Zhang. I worked with Judy at IIL in 2015 and that was a fantastic journey. I learnt about grateful leadership from Judy and various webinars and conferences IIL organized. I’m now Marketing Manager at Student.com New York Office. What Judy taught us helps a lot in my work when collaborating with other departments and managing juniors. Keep going Judy!

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Hi Daisy! It’s wonderful to “see” you on the Center for Grateful Leadership! It was always a pleasure to work with you and to have you really sink your teeth into the projects we gave you. We owe you the Chinese version of “The Power of Acknowledgment” for sure, as well as many other things! Please help us spread the word about the CGL. We want to attract people of all ages and stages and geographic locations to share their experiences, their challenges and their successes with us. We already have some great “coaches” in our midst here – this site attracts the most amazing people! They are people who care about others and about making a difference in the world.  Please let us know what we can do to enhance the site from your perspective. And stay tuned for some exciting developments in the next few weeks…

JudyUmlas
      Keymaster

Chaplain Davis, we are so happy to have you participating with us on the Center for Grateful Leadership! Your leadership example, which I cited in the Grateful Leadership book, is a real inspiration to everyone who reads it. We look forward to your ongoing contributions and hopefully we can support your vision of bringing the message and reality of The Power of Acknowledgement throughout the military.

ChaplainDavis
      Participant

Should I introduce myself in a “reply” to this thread, or is there a button I should be looking for to post an original comment?  I think I have found the answer to my own question…..LOL

Hello all,

My name is Chaplain Major Primitivo Davis and I am on a lifelong journey to be the most grateful leader I can be.  I currently serve as an Army Chaplain. In my current position, I manage a 6 month long leadership school for Army Chaplains who are preparing to assume positions as leaders/supervisors in the Army Chaplain Corps.  I look forward to growing from the dialogue in this group, and in turn helping others grow.

TKiley
      Participant

Embarrassed, no.  Appreciative, YES!

Thank you!

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

I’m so glad — see what great progress you are making! 🙂

JudyUmlas
      Keymaster

Tom, it is wonderful that you have joined us. Your desire to grow in the area of acknowledgment competency has been inspirational to me. Our coaching session, your prize for the contest you entered last IPMDay, was a joy for me because I could see how willing to expand you were and continue to be. This latest example is just further evidence of this. Please keep sharing your “Grateful Leadership Journey” with all of us. I hope I don’t embarrass you, but will accept the consequences if I do 🙂 when I tell you this: I’m really proud of you!

TKiley
      Participant

Hello.  My name is Tom Kiley.  I was introduced to this concept at the IPM day last November.  And submitted an entry to Judy’s question about holding from showing vulnerability which was chosen as the winner!  From that I had a very nice one on one hour with Judy.  One of the things that had held me back was from my military service on submarines, where outstanding performance is the expectation, and my technical rating as  Missile Technician historically was used to little acknowledgement.  So I inadvertently brought that into civilian life.  I also finished the course from IIL and have been working on my acknowledgement skills.  Happy to say I was able to use them today.  I had a contractor crew installing a concrete containment outside our facility.  It was cool this week, only high 80’s to mid 90’s F instead of the 100F it has been.  These guys were here in the heat and working hard to get the containment done on time, which they did.  I stopped in regularly to ask how they were, and check up on their well being, and when they finished I made it a point to shake each one’s hand, look them in the eye and thank them.  Each one busted into a big smile.  That felt really good!

jgtrela
      Participant

Hello All!  I’m Jim Trela and I was introduced to Judy through the Grateful Leadership on demand course at IIL’s IPM Day 2015.  What an eye opener.  Things that seem so obvious are so overlooked in organizations.

I have a podcast where I mentioned Judy and the need for recognition in business these days.  Frankly, I believe that a Grateful Organization can create a competitive advantage over other organizations because their customers will want to partner with those companies that appreciate them.

I’m driven by the belief that organizations must have an operating system in place that will deliver a consistent quality product / service to their customers.  Can you imagine an organization where appreciation and recognition are not just part of the process, but part of the culture, its DNA?  Wouldn’t you want to be part of an organization like that?

The Center for Grateful Leadership is a place where we can change the world, one “Thank you” at a time.

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Hi Jim! I’m so sorry I missed this when you posted it. We are so honored to have you as a member. Stay tuned for the next phase of CGL expansion and development that should come starting with International Project Management Day (IPMDay) on November 3rd. Then hopefully we will have a lot more chatting, dialogue and support. Let me know that you have seen this belated reply to your post. Best, Judy

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by JudyUmlas.
      JudyUmlas
      Keymaster

Hi Debbie and welcome! I’m so glad that you found the Grateful Leadership course valuable and useful. You are right — the concepts are so simple, the results are so great and yet it is often challenging to create that culture of appreciation. That’s one of the main reasons we started the Center for Grateful Leadership. We hope that we can all help each other find the most effective ways to do this. Check out the latest “Tell Me a Story” video about a woman who trains her boss to become a Grateful Leader. It can be done! Thanks for contributing and please keep doing so.

rivenbud
      Participant

Hello, I’m Debbie. I had the wonderful opportunity to take the Grateful Leadership course via an offer you made available through Project Management Institute (PMI). I absolutely love the material, and the way that you present it is so warm and human – just the type of interactions that you hope others will learn, and transform workplaces and relationships. I think that has so much power for the good, and totally believe in it. I work for a state government agency, and have seen examples of excellent leadership and, sadly, have experienced the opposite. The concepts of Grateful Leadership seem simple; the challenge is creating that culture. You offer some excellent tools to do that.

RogerFAucoin
      Participant

8/2/16

Hi, folks,

My name is Roger Aucoin from NY (by way of Boston for my first 50 years). I have traded a number of emails with Judy after taking her ‘Power of Acknowledgement’ course from IIL. I have been impressed with her willingness to engage with me from the get-go.

I look forward to engaging with any of you. I find the principles “obvious” when reading about them, but they are sparse in every-day life. I can certainly make them more obvious in my interactions, but the key is spreading the word.

When I first participated in the Power of Acknowledgement course, I went to work to acknowledge my appreciation for the Deputy Director I report to. He indicated that it meant a lot to hear it from me.  I was hoping he would ask why I did so, but he didn’t. And I don’t know how to suggest to him and our Director to get up, walk around, meet folks, and share their appreciation. They do so via email blasts to everyone, but, as you all know, it is not the same.

Oh well. More to learn and share.

Roger

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Hi Roger! It’s wonderful to see you here and I know you have a great deal to contribute to our Center for Grateful Leadership. I think the frustration you have expressed in your introduction is one worth exploring with our members. Wish you had been on our live Q&A yesterday. People were really interacting and supporting and giving suggestions to each other about some sticky issues. Take a look at the archived event and you will see what I mean. Maybe you can just give your Director the poster of the 5 Cs and have a conversation about this — about how much more meaningful it is to people to be acknowledged in a heartfelt and sincere way than to receive an email blast, no matter how well intended. Does anyone else have some insights or suggestions to share with Roger? Again, thanks for joining the CGL!

JudyUmlas
      Keymaster

Shana! I’m so glad you are here with us! I remember when your were an Air Force Captain in Iraq, was it, and you got up in the middle of the night to participate in our webinar on The Power of Acknowledgment! I was so impressed with your enthusiasm and dedication to this work,  and we became connected for life! I’m sure you can help us bring it to the next level. Hope you can join us on August 2nd at 11:00 am to 12 noon ET. Hugs from afar!

JespySK
      Participant

Hi everyone!

I’m Shana and I’m super excited to get to know everyone. I met Judy “virtually” through my master’s program at UMUC. I had to wake up at 0200 so I could dial into her grateful leadership webinar, and I am so glad I did. It changed my life and I gained a great friend in the process. I’m still working on acknowledging all the wondrous activities around me. It’s always rewarding to live life in a grateful space.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by JespySK.
      karencarpenter
      Participant

Hi all –  I am Karen Carpenter, a leader in technology who believes in the power of appreciation.  I mentor many new managers and female technologists and hope to spread the word about Greatful leadership.

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Hi Karen! We are so glad you are here and that you are a mentor for new managers and female technologists. You have a real opportunity to share these principles with all of them, and help enhance your culture of appreciation where you work. I am delivering a keynote address to a group called “Women Innovating Now” at a pharmaceutical company in October and am very excited about the opportunity to discuss the link between Appreciation and Innovation! It’s an exciting new aspect of this work. I’m happy to share about this with you and others if there is interest.

hbcapsfan
      Participant

Hello, I am Heidi Baker.  I was honored to be named an acknowledgment ambassador in May 2010.   At the time I was working for an organization where leaders were more concerned about the bottom line and getting more for less.  The Power of Acknowledgment proved to be a resource well worth its investment.  Awards were given as a matter of “responsibility” more so than acknowledging specific contributions and when the award budget was the first to be cut, it became my goal to introduce a culture of appreciation where employees felt valued and that their work made a difference.  The wonderful thing about the principles is that we can validate them everyday in both our personal and professional lives.  I am excited to learn about the various ways others have incorporated the Power of Acknowledgment in becoming grateful leaders and the effects it has had on their organization.

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Heidi, thanks for your contagious enthusiasm about The Power of Acknowledgment and your steadfastness with bringing the principles forth to the world. You will always be our Acknowledgment Ambassador — one of our earlier ones, too, I might add!

JLaws
      Participant

Good evening everyone!! I had the opportunity to learn of Grateful Leadership as part of the IIL conference. I look forward to using the center as a beta tester and networking with folks on the various leadership concepts.

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Hi Jill — it’s great to have you with us, and we are glad that you want to network with other “practitioners” about using these concepts to improve excellence and engagement at work. I come to PA quite often, and even to your town now and then, so maybe we can meet up in person some time.  You should “network” with Kathy Kest, who is committed to bringing Grateful Leadership into the health care arena. Kathy was just recently certified as IIL’s second Grateful Leadership Certified Trainer. Roxi can help you connect, or you can just go and introduce yourselves. Hope to see you on August 2nd for our live Q&A!

sing1412
      Participant

Greetings everyone! I’m Rennette Lucien, from Houston, Texas and I’m thankful to finally be on board! I met Judy at Kathy Kest’s presentation after our Regional Toastmasters’ Conference and I have been HOOKED!!! Because of the presentation and the book, I know actively look for those special moments which often pass us by because we are too busy to notice. I hope to continue to grow as a Grateful Leader and hope that others around me will catch on fire!!! 🙂

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Hi Rennette! It’s wonderful to have you with us, and I know others around you will certainly catch on fire from your enthusiasm about the Grateful Leadership model. I can’t wait to see how you transform an entire school system with your leadership example and training. Please contribute your observations and your stories — both your successes and your challenges. Hope to see you on August 2nd for our first live Q&A session!

JudyUmlas
      Keymaster

Beth, I am so delighted to see you here! I will never forget that on the opening day of the 90 day access period of International Project Management Day — November 5, 2015 at 8:57 am — I received the first email about the On Demand course that I had worked on for months — from you! I couldn’t believe it, because in the U.S. the day hadn’t even officially started yet, and you were writing to me about the profound effect that Module 4 of the Grateful Leadership On Demand course had had on you (I saved that email), since you were hours ahead of us in Israel. You can’t imagine what a relief that email was to me, because although I am totally convinced of the profound impact of this work, I am never totally confident that I will be able to reach others with this conviction and empower them to use the technology.  You were the first of thousands of people around the world who registered and started using the course and feeding back incredible examples of the impact it was having on them. That’s what led to this Center for Grateful Leadership! Welcome aboard, and we look forward to your participation and contributions!

hymowbet
        Participant

Wow! Thanks so much for your reply! Looking forward to the meeting today..Hoping I can attend!

hymowbet
      Participant

Hi!  I am Beth Hymowitz, and I met Judy through the IPMDAY 2015 sponsored by IIL.  It was an amazing experience, and Judy and I became quick partners in my journey for Grateful Leadership.  The most wonderful part of the experience was the feeling I had once I had provided feedback to two people in my organization.  What an amazing feeling it is to make others realize their own potential, simply by acknowledging them and their behaviors!

Thank you Judy for continuing to keep in touch with me as a reminder that I need to continue on this journey!  I’m looking forward to being part of this effort as well going forward!  Have a great day!

JudyUmlas
      Keymaster
      • This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by JudyUmlas.
      RNevin
      Participant

This community is growing daily! Welcome and hello to all the new members!! So glad to see everyone, and hearing the stories of why you are here is so great!!

lsoto
      Participant

Hello! My name is Lisa Soto and I want to be a Grateful Leader! I found out about GL from a presentation at an IIL conference and I took the GL on demand course. What an eye opener! It was very timely as I’m on a committee at work where we’re trying to figure out a program for employees to be acknowledged, from a simple thank you up to a cash reward. I’m advocating for GL training for our supervisors and managers.

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Welcome, Lisa! I am delighted to have you as part of this initiative! I think it is great that you are on a committee to figure out such wonderful things as how to acknowledge your people in a meaningful way. I’m happy to be an honorary “member” of that committee — come to me for input and advice at any time! 🙂

HBear47
      Participant

Hello! I am Hedy Wells. I spent a significant amount of time at an organization where leaders were not encouraging; where the atmosphere for employees was constantly negative. I was introduced to Judy and Grateful Leadership via a learning opportunity from my association with the Project Management Institute. I currently work for a not-for-profit where the leadership is grateful to those of us “on the front lines” and actively encourages us to learn and grow. I explained to Judy when I took the Grateful Leadership webinar from IIL, I cried because I was moved by the compassion and feelings of gratitude from our CEO at our annual employee meeting.

I want to be part of grateful leadership because everyone should know what it feels like to be acknowledged.

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Hedy, thanks so much for joining our community! It is starting to feel more and more like one, as people like you help us get started in this initiative. I am so happy for you that you are now working in an organization in which there is a culture of appreciation. It sounds like your CEO is really modeling and supporting that! And I couldn’t agree with you more that everyone should know what it feels like to be acknowledged. I know you will make sure that happens wherever you go.

sharmon
      Participant

Greetings! I am Sabrina Harmon and my book club for leaders read both of Judy’s books (The Power of Acknowledgment & Grateful Leadership). Everyone loved the message from the books and Judy spoke recently at our organization’s annual conference. I’ve told Judy that I am the acknowledge monster (a good thing!). As I go about my day, I purposefully look for opportunities to acknowledge the traits in people that inspire them to be fully engaged. It buoys my heart to see the smiles that acknowledgement of people gets. Truly a Win-Win proposition.

I work at a nonprofit organization, SourceAmerica. Our mission is to create jobs for people with significant disabilities.

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Sabrina, it’s a joy to have you participate in the CGL — we welcome all “acknowledgment monsters” to spread their gift contagiously to all of us and to the world. I know you do this now effortlessly and magnificently — it’s why I blogged about the great incident you shared with me a while back: http://www.gratefulleadership.com/random-acts-of-kindness-day/  And this is very much in keeping with the wonderful video that member Meir Laker posted on this board in our section on Grateful Leadership and Media.

Sabrina, your support through not one, but two book clubs with your great association members were absolute joys for me! (I would guess that Sabrina could share her wonderfully simple and effective way of hosting a Power of Acknowledgment or Grateful Leadership book club with us). And I got to be the guest speaker and question answerer for both book club calls. What fun!

KFields
      Participant

Hi Everyone,

My name is Kim Fields and I was first introduced to Grateful leadership from an IIL conference. I followed up that session by taking a Grateful Leadership class. I participated in the activities in that class and they really helped me understand the power of acknowledgement! I have enjoyed my association with Judy and her team and am happy to assist them with launching this site and initiative.

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Kim, it’s wonderful to have your participation in this new initiative. I know you have a great deal to contribute to it — I have already used your great story of acknowledgment in a blog post: http://www.gratefulleadership.com/the-power-of-seeing-and-being-seen/. I’ve seen your commitment to spreading this leadership model to a wider audience and am grateful for that. Be sure to let us know what we can do to make this site the most effective and engaging!

JudyUmlas
      Keymaster

Welcome, Anya. From work we have done together in the past, I know you are a “Resource Magician”! 🙂 We are delighted to have you with us. Best, Judy

RNevin
      Participant

Hey everyone! My name is Roxi Nevin, and I’ve worked closely with Judy on Grateful Leadership social media and her blog for about a year. I work for IIL supporting virtual classrooms as well. I am a moderator here at the communications board, and am happy to help with any questions you might have. I look forward to seeing all of your posts, and welcome to the Center for Grateful Leadership!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by RNevin.
      Anya
      Participant

Hello! My name is Anya and I will be providing resources (i.e. links to articles, interviews, videos, books, and more) for everyone participating in the Center for Grateful Leadership. Please feel free to let me know if there is a specific topic you would like me to explore, an area where you could use more information, or a resource that would be helpful to you on your journey to Grateful Leadership. I am looking forward to working with all of you!

kipselby
      Participant

I’m Kip Selby and I’m happy to be a “guineu pig” and check out the new Center for Grateful Leadership!  I look forward to seeing how the center grows and contributes to a topic which I certainly believe in and have been challenged by…

JudyUmlas
        Keymaster

Welcome, Kip! It’s great to see you here. We value the contribution of someone who both believes in this form of leadership and who is also challenged by it. Your journey will be an inspiration to all of us. Best, Judy

JudyUmlas
      Keymaster

Hi! I’m Judith W. Umlas (please call me Judy), and I am thrilled that you have joined us in the Center for Grateful Leadership — an initiative that I sincerely believe will change the world of work, as well as families, communities and governments. I know that is a big “vision,” but it is what I have believed was possible from the very beginning, when IIL first published The Power of Acknowledgment in 2006! The results have been truly amazing — it is now time to take this into a broader and broader sphere. Your active participation will make that possible! So please accept my profound gratitude that you have embraced this vision and are willing to make it your own, with your own actions and expertise. Let us know at any time what you see as the impediments you face, tell us about the successes you are having, and let your IIL team know how we can support your great intentions. Best, Judy

admin
      Keymaster

New to the Center for GL? Introduce yourself here.

Viewing 53 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial